Thursday, June 25, 2009

Husky Kid Gets an Overhaul

I was always the chubby kid growing up. Even though I grew up in a loving Christian Home I was always reminded in one way or another that I was "chubby" or my favorite "husky." In my family fitness and being active was not really a priority, however having a big appetite was something to take pride in. In early adolescence I would eat an adults plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I remember vividly ordering the adult portion and the waitress going, "That's an adult serving, Honey!" I had no fear. It was not until I noticed girls and being picked last for a game of kickball (or being picked first for "Butt Ball") that I began to take notice of my gut. My waist was roughly 30"-31"....way to young for that.

Dad tried to force fitness but that never worked. It wasn't fun. I got thin in middle school and high school but in college I got the thickness back. I graduated from high school at 155 lbs. and gained 30 lbs. within 2 years. I yoyo'd throughout college and after graduation I went clear up to 220 lbs. after my daughter was born. Can you believe that?

I had began to do mt. biking with a buddy from church and it really became addicting. I became fairly good at it and it soon became a way of life for me. I still carried a hefty load of 190-200 lbs. even though I exercised several times a week. The guys I rode with had a multitude of health problems and had been on some type of medication for one thing or another. This had made me rethink how I approached fitness since my 40's were approaching, but I didn't have a clear direction. All I knew was I needed something new with some sort of accountability even though I was on this journey alone with no workout partner.

In 2007 I saw the P90X infomercials for and I thought to myself, "Unbelievable!...There is no way I can be like that!" Then in February '09 I heard some co-workers talking about the program and that one of them had been doing it. I'd eavesdrop from my office and hear them chat about it and then I'd go home and see the newest infomercial on it. It began to intrigue me all over again.

On March 16, 2009 the "Husky" Kid began his overhaul! P90X is more than a workout, it's a whole new way of thinking. There's a nutrition plan that partners with the workouts that changes each month as the workout does. This methodology feeds the body for each stage of the entire fitness plan. I finished Round I (90 days) on June 13, 2009 and it kicked my ass!
My body and entire way of thinking transformed:
- Lost 15 lbs. (without trying)
- Waist shrunk 35" to 32.5" and hips 38" to 36"
- Core became defined for the first time in my life
- Energy level sky rocketed

I went in as a skeptic about the whole "muscle confusion" philosophy but seeing is believing. The "Husky" Kid disappeared and all I could really do was thank God for getting me through the Living Hell called P90X. I also prayed that He would mentally prepare me to do it all over again on June 22.



No comments:

Post a Comment