Friday, June 26, 2009

Pain as a Sign of Growth

After completing Day 95 and being a college professor, I've resolved that "pain" is a sign of growth...a sign of progress. My students often complain about the pains of being in college and I often have to remind them with this quote, "Pain is temporary...it's a sign of growth and everyone has to go through it. Pain is part of the journey. Without pain there is nothing to compare your progress to."

However, pain does feel like a weakness doesn't it. Pain is not a weakness though we are programmed to think so since we were young. Sometimes all it takes is a difference in perspective. This difference in perspective or mindset is how I get through most obstacles in life especially the ABX (Ab Ripper X) workout on P90X or rolling out of bed after a hard workout the day before. Pain also reminds of what we need to do the following workout. Don't mistake physical pain with physical soreness. Pain is something sustained longer than being sore. Questions to ask yourself are:

1. Am I feeling pain or soreness?

2. What did I do wrong? Did I misstep or twist a certain way? What do I need to do next time to avoid doing it again?

3. Did I thoroughly stretch and warm up or did I rush through to get to the actual workout?

4. Am I eating by a proven nutrition plan to help me reach my fitness goals and help body repair faster?

As Tony Horton says, "You can do anything in 30 seconds!"

No comments:

Post a Comment